Phone: 306-586-4291 | E-mail:  


Thank you for asking me to be your Marriage Commissioner. It’s a privilege for me to be able to marry you both. In order for me to make your wedding ceremony planning experience the best it can be, I would ask you to consider the following:

  1. In order to book me as your Marriage Commissioner, I require you to complete the Booking Form found on my website. Once I receive it I will then a) secure the date and time of your wedding into my appointment book and b) start a wedding file for you.

  2. I'm required to meet with you prior to your actual wedding date. At this meeting we will go over the civil ceremony wording and legal documentation, as well as any other wedding details we need to discuss.

  3. You will need to purchase a Marriage License and bring that along to our meeting. Please note: A Marriage License is only valid for 90 days and must be purchased at least 24 hours prior to your wedding date.

  4. You will need to complete the on-line MA-1 Form from my website and submit it to me electronically. The information on this form must be accurate with correct spellings as it is what I transfer on to your actual Marriage Registration.
    (Note: If for some reason your witnesses' information changes between now and the day of your wedding, it is very important that you contact me regarding this change so I can adjust your documents in preparation for signing during your ceremony.)

  5. As a Marriage Commissioner, I find that there are often times where I am scheduled to do more than one wedding on the same day. Therefore, it is important that we start your wedding ceremony on time. In the same vein, many weddings are booked with me months in advance. If for some reason you have to change the time, it is again important that you get in touch with me as soon as possible. I cannot guarantee that I will still be able to do your wedding if I have worked in other weddings around yours. Thank you for your consideration in both these requests.

  6. Payment in the amount of $125.00 for my services is preferred when I arrive at your venue and before the ceremony begins. There is an additional $25.00 charge if you would like me to attend your wedding rehearsal. Also I have had on occasion, requests from couples to set up a meet and greet before booking with me. I am more than happy to do so however there is a $25.00 charge for this additional meeting. Regarding mileage fees for weddings booked outside of Regina, please refer to my website for this information. 

  7. To put your mind at ease, I am always at the wedding venue well in advance and am able to familiarize myself with where I need to be etc.

  8. If you are planning any additions to your wedding i.e. readings, etc. I would appreciate having a copy of the reading and the name of the reader. You can email me this information or bring it along when we meet.

  9. On occasions, I have been asked to use a microphone in the larger venues. I don’t mind doing this at all, however, if you could consider in your planning the possibility of getting a cordless, clip on lapel microphone, it works much better for me than a microphone on a stand. I have also been asked if I would mind holding a microphone. For me this is very difficult as I have papers to hold and read from and therefore I choose not to hold a mic. Again, this is information that will help you with your planning. Thank you again for your understanding.

  10. Some couples feel it appropriate to have a few alcoholic drinks prior to their wedding ceremony and consider it a non issue. However, the interpretation of the phrase a "few drinks" may become the issue. As a Marriage Commissioner, I am licensed to perform civil wedding ceremonies for those parties who I feel are not impaired or influenced by the use of alcohol or drugs. I do not wish to be put in a position, prior to your wedding ceremony, to have to make a decision as to whether we continue with the ceremony because of this concern. I am therefore recommending, based on Section 40 of The Marriage Act, 1995 that couples save their consumption of alcohol or drug use to after the civil ceremony. 

    The Marriage Act, 1995
    Party under influence of alcohol or drugs
    40 No issuer of marriage license, member of the clergy or marriage commissioner who knows or has reason to believe that the judgment of either of the parties to the intended marriage is impaired by the use of alcohol or drugs shall issue a license or solemnize a marriage between those persons.
                                                                     1995, c.M-4.1, s40.

© 2020 Barbara Jones Weddings